All Applied Physics graduate students at Rice University receive financial support throughout the year. Entering students are normally awarded Applied Physics fellowships, which carry a monthly stipend for the first nine months and an additional grant to cover tuition. At the end of the first semester, students will affiliate with a research group and an advisor, and in the second semester, the advisor's department will then fund the stipend and tuition grant.
Graduate applicants with exceptional qualifications also compete for prize fellowships which award additional dollars. After completion of the first semester, students are supported on research assistantships or numerous other research associate fellowships. Students are encouraged to apply for fellowships, some of which are listed below. (Please note that this list is not exhaustive.)
Incoming students are encouraged to apply for National Science Foundation Predoctoral Fellowships (NSFGRF). Applications for these awards must originate from the student in October; the deadline for applying is November 4.
Rice University is one of fourteen institutions at which fellowships from the Fannie and John Hertz Foundation are tenable. Application materials are due by November 1st.
Other Fellowship Opportunities:
- National Defence Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowship (NDSEG) - Applications will be accepted after September 3rd and the deadline is December 20th.
- Graduate Education for Minorities (GEM) - Application cycle is July 1 - November 15.
- Hispanic Engineer National Achievement Awards Conference (HENAAC) - Applications accepted in January; deadline is April 30.
- NASA Graduate Student Research Program (GSRP) Fellowships - Announcement of opportunity in late December; deadline is near the end of Februrary or beginning of March
- Ford Foundation Fellowships - Open in mid-September; deadline in mid-November
- Integrative Graduate Education and Research Traineeship (IGERT) - Enter your level of study and select "Rice University" to see available opportunities
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowship Program - Large list of scholarships and fellowships, along with tips and advice
- K2I Computational Science & Engineering Fellowships - graduate fellowships are provided to support the recruitment of outstanding graduate students in computational science and engineering to Rice University
- Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies' Fellowships - links to more fellowship opportunities
- Rice Fondren Library's Graduate Students & Postdocs at Rice University: Fellowships/Grants
- Rice Office of Proposal Development Fellowships List